today I learned:
- sir patrick stewart put on and starred in a “photo-negative” production of othello. he starred as a white othello with a black cast.
- there was a service dog named endal, who, in 2001, rescued his unconscious owner by putting him in the recovery position, covering him with a blanket, retrieving his cellphone, and running to a nearby hotel room to get help after his wheelchair was clipped by a car.
- the flinstones was originally sponsored by winston cigarettes and was intended for adults.
- the battle of vimy ridge was the first time all four divisions of our (canada’s) army fought together. they captured more ground, more prisoners, and more guns than anyone else (on the offensive) in the two and a half years of war up to that point. yesterday was the 96th anniversary of that assault.
- oh, and neil degrasse tyson won a gold medal in 1985 for latin ballroom dancing.