today I learned:
- henry ford was the first industrial giant to give his workers saturday and sunday off in hope that it would encourage more leisure use of automobiles, and thus popularizing the idea of “the weekend”
- nestle aggressively distributes free formula samples in developing countries til the supplementation has interfered with the mother’s lactation. after that, the family must continue to buy the formula since the mother is no longer able to produce her own milk.
- icelanders have no family names. instead, their surname is just their father’s name plus “son” or “dottir”
- US interrogators tortured an afghan detainee to death by hanging him by his arms for four days and beating his legs so badly they needed amputation. they did this despite most interrogators believing him to be “an innocent man who simply drove his taxi past the american base at the wrong time”
- al queda’s strategy involved specifically using terrorism to provoke the west into long wars in numerous places that would lead to its financial collapse
- navy seals used to be waterboarded as a part of their training but the process was stopped when no seal could pass it, leading to bad morale.