today I learned:
- after water, concrete is the most used substance in the world
- there are so many kinds of apples, if you ate one per day, it would take over 20 years to try them all
- the dog who played comet on “full house” is the same dog who played airbud.
- humans and dogs are the only two species who seek visual cues from another individual’s eyes, and dogs only do this when they’re interacting with humans
- a prison inmate tried to sue himself for allowing himself to get drunk and ruin his life. he demanded 5 million from himself, and reasoned that the state should pay since he didn’t get a salary in prison
- a man injected himself with snake venom in an effort to build up immunity. he lived to be 100, survived 172 snake bites, and donated his blood to snake bite victims.
- in jamaica, sex between 2 men is punishable with up to 10 years in prison, whereas girl-on-girl action is allowed.
- in australia, you are required to vote. if you don’t, you will be fined.
- in mexico, germany, and austria, prison escape isn’t punishable by law if the escaper doesn’t break any other laws. this is because they understand that it is human instinct to want to be free.
- johnny depp never drivels without his captain jack sparrow costume, as he often surprises kids in the hospital by showing up as the character. these visits usually turn into 2-3 hour improv sessions, which he finds “really fun”