today I learned:
- the cost of uni textbooks has risen 812% in the past 30 years– that’s more than healthcare costs, housing prices, and university tuitions, all of which have risen faster than the rate of inflation.
- many areas are using a beet juice and salt mixture on their roads to keep them from freezing over. the beet juice prevents roads from icing over in temps up to -25 degrees celcius, making it more effective than using a salt brine. it’s also way less toxic for the environment. also, for you car drivers, spray a mixture of 3 part vinegar and 1 part water on your windshield before the night ends or in the morning, and the ice will melt off easily 🙂 I have a spray bottle by the outside doorway now!
- william whipple freed his slaves when he signed the declaration of independance, because he believed that he could not fight for freedom and own slaves. shoulda learned from him, ol’ abe.
- the man behind the flamin’ hot brand cheetos (never had it!? whaa!) was a janitor at frito-lay. OOOOH!
- diamond engagement rings only became popular in the 1940s as a guarantee of compensation in case the “suitor” cancelled the engagement. this became necessary after states began the banning the breach of promise lawsuits.
- researchers have trained flatworms, then decapitated them. after their heads grew back, researchers found they had retrained their learning.
- when james avery auditioned for the part of uncle phil on fresh prince of bel air, he had no idea who will smith was. when he entered the room, smith had his feet on the table and his hat on sideways. avery told him to put his feet down and turn his hat around. he got the part.
- if you microwave a sliced grape, it can explode into a fireball of super-heated plasma. do not try this because I do not want to feel badly for introducing you to this information….
- north korean “researchers” have concluded that north korea is the second happiest country behind china (good, solid research, guys…)
- television painter bob ross derived all his income from his private company. he starred in “the joy of painting” for FREE, and could record an entire season in just over two days (TWO!!!!! MARRY ME!)