today I learned:
- peter freuchen, a 6’7 jewish danish arctic explorer, is more badass than any other jewish danish arctic explorer I’ve EVER HEARD OF. THIS IS THE TRUTH. a woman once offered to bite off his toes. he declined, and instead chopped them off with shears and a hammer. he also was once trapped under a blizzard and cut his way out with a knife….made of his own feces. here he is photographed with his wife (the before-photograph-conversation probably went a little like this, according to a funny lil internet comedian/enne: “honey we have that photo shoot today so don’t forget to pick up your suit from the…” “I’m wearing my polar bear coat” “honey listen I know you want people to know you explored the arctic but it’s been 2 months and you haven’t taken off the..” “I’M WEARING MY POLAR BEAR COAT!!” “…(sigh)….fine”)
- kid rock took a pay cut that cost him around $50,000 to $100,000 per night during his tour to keep ticket prices at $20 and a 12 oz beer at $4.
- the artist who sings “mr. f” and “for british eyes only” in arrested development is lucy schwartz, the daughter of david schwartz, the composer of the show. she also sings the season 4 ending credits song “boomerang.”
- it is rarely necessary to wait 24 hours before filing a missing person’s report; law enforcement agencies in the US stress the importance of a prompt investigation. the UK government web site says explicitly in large type “you don’t have to wait 24 hours before contacting the police”
- THIS IS HOW DOGS REALLY DRINK WATER.