today I learned:
- denmark recently banned ritual slaughter, saying “animal rights come before religion”
- for those who have trouble sleeping researchers say that one week of camping, without electronics, resets our biological body clock and synchronizes our melatonin hormones with sunrise and sunset.
- conan o’brien follows only one person on twitter, a randomly chosen fan (sarah killen) who, since being followed in 2010, has gone from 3 to 138k followers
- scientists have found that african elephants get distressed when they see others in trouble, and they reach out to console them—just as we do when we see someone suffering. we humans are not so high and mighty, if you really look into it. at least, we’re not so different from the rest of the animals on this earth. truly.
- the immaculate conception is a catholic doctrine about how mary was conceived, not about how jesus was conceived in mary. as a person raised in catholicism and who went to church every sunday for the majority of my life……….this is news to me.
- at the 1912 olympics, a marathon runner quit and went home to japan without telling officials and was considered a missing person in sweden for 50 years. in 1966, he was invited to complete the marathon. his time: 54 years, 8 months, 6 days, 5 hours, 32 minutes and 20.379 seconds. better than I’d do…
- the kong dog toy is based on part of a volkswagen bus suspension that the creator’s german shepherds loved to play with
- there are 24 times more empty houses in the united states than homeless people.
- there are coffee houses in russia where food and drink are free but you pay for time.
- tasmania has approved a motion to permanently ban the sale of cigarettes to anyone born after the year 2000
- in the late 90s, saddam hussein commissioned a quran to be written in his own blood. now, muslim leaders aren’t sure what to do with it–to write the quran in blood was a sin, but to destroy it would also be a sin. what a beautiful catch-22.
- in billy madison, adam sandler really hit the children hard during the dodgeball scene. the quick cuts weren’t to make it look like he was throwing hard, it was because the kids were crying afterwards. sandler’s pitch for the idea? “hurting kids is funny.” so, sandler’s kind of a dick………here’s the scene.
- to finish off, here’s some illustrations a dad made of the ridiculous things he’s said because of his children. it’s cute. NOW HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY OR I’LL FINDJYA AND MAKEYA.