today I learned:
- tupac shakur stopped to break up an altercation and ended up shooting two police officers. one in the leg and one in the buttocks. the charges on him were dropped after it was discovered the officers were intoxicated and had stolen weapons from the police evidence room. nice, guys, nice.
- there’s a law called “cunningham’s law”, which states that the best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it’s to post the wrong answer.”
- there exists a hilarious squirrel-proof bird feeder (hahahahah)
- the ashes of the man who discovered pluto are on its way there.
- workers at amazon’s distribution centres can be expected to walk up to 11 miles per shift, picking an order every 33 seconds. wow.
- slovak agriculture scientists grew soy beans in the irradiated zone of chernobyl to see how they would adapt. the plants adapted within a single generation, producing more protective proteins, including one that is known to help protect human blood from radiation.
- washing your hands in hot water doesn’t kill germs any better than washing them in cold water, a study found. Water hot enough to kill germs would scald your skin (though, I have to admit, I found this one to be quite obvious…)
- the cutest, most clumsy baby elephant ever exists.
- during a major civil war battle, both armies briefly stopped fighting to watch a fist fight between two opposing soldiers who had both taken cover in the same place. americans. AMIRIGHT?! (I’M KIDDING I’M KIDDING. it’s a human thing..)
- wanna read faster? download the chrome extension “spreed“. after starting to use it, I read twice as fast, going from 250 WPM to 500 WPM comfortably.
- dogs and elephants are the only animals that seem to instinctively understand pointing. at least, this is how the fact was presented. apparently humans aren’t animals….
- before antibiotics, patients with syphilis were sometimes purposefully infected with malaria. this was because the bacteria that causes syphilis doesn’t fare well at higher temperatures (a blistering fever is a side effect of malaria). FAIR TRADE-OFF RIGHT?!
- the gene for 6 fingers is a dominant trait!
- seth rogen and evan goldberg are to make a movie about the 90s battle between sega and nintendo. WOOOO!!!
AAAAAND, of course, here’s a reminder that I love you:
I LOVE YOU.