today I learned:
- when a kangaroo feels threatened that it will go into chest deep water and wait. if the “assailant” follows him, he’ll literally grab him with his tiny arms and drown him.
- tinder, OKcupid and match.com are owned by the same company, InterActiveCorp, who also own CollegeHumor, Vimeo, and 50 other internet websites. woah.
- JFK’s sister was given one of the first lobotomies because of her mood swings. doctors asked her to sing god bless america while they cut into her brain, and stopped when she “became incoherent”. oh, and they also used to perform lobotomies on 4 year-old children who were acting out. yeah. science.
- if you donate your kidney without specifying a recipient, you can start a domino donation chain getting thousands of people new matching kidneys. DONATE YER KIDNEYS. I mean kidney. just one.
- the mayor of key west, florida declared war against the United States, surrendered after one minute, and applied for one billion dollars in foreign aid. whaaat.
- no one in the U.S. has died from a black widow spider bite in over 10 years.
- the dab of toothpaste you squeeze onto your toothbrush is called a ‘nurdle’. another funny word I recently heard on MXC (R.I.P) is “piddlestep” hahahahahahaha. piddlestep.
- bryan cranston earned $225,000 per episode of breaking bad. notttt baaaddddd. not bad at all. bit more than I make.
- the official twitter account of sweden is given to a random citizen every week to manage. CAN SWEDEN QUIT BEING SO RAD PLEASE?! I can’t afford a ticket there yet…
- in the novel, forest gump was 6’6, 242 lbs. author winston groom says he envisioned john goodman as forest. woah.
- chipotle peppers are simply smoked jalapeños; it takes 10 lbs of jalapeños to create 1 lb of chipotle. TOO HOT FER ME.
- in the 1990s, a national survey found that mario was more recognizable to american children than mickey mouse.
- jerry seinfeld turned down $5 million per episode, for 22 episodes, to continue the seinfeld show for a tenth season. I’m inclined to think this was the best decision. wouldn’t wanna ruin it.
- dunkin donuts in south korea started spraying coffee aroma into public buses every time their jingle played. coffee sales increased 29%.
- the woman who founded mother’s day later tried to have it abolished because—by 1920—it had become too commercialized. 1920!!!
- an orca (killer whale) can put a great white shark to sleep by turning it over on it’s back. the orca then drowns the shark, only to eat the liver and the tongue. WHAT THE HELL ORCAS. THAT’S JUST SICK.
- when the leading emergency asthma medication albuterol’s patent expired, the patent holding pharmaceutical companies lobbied to have their own inhalers banned based on environmental issues, allowing them to file a new patent, and continue to monopolize the market. hésus.
- allie brosh’s (of hyperbole and a half) comic on depression is considered “one of the best contemporary portraits of the condition” by psychologists. if you haven’t seen it, TAKE A FRIGGIN LOOK. it’s incredibly enlightening for those of you who have not experienced depression.