today I learned:
- monsanto once created a town in Illinois so it could build a factory in a town with low taxes and lax regulations. the town is now home to a huge superfund site. gee, monsanto, your ethics kind of suck 😦 and by ethics I mean you. yeah, like, the whole thang.
- serial killer and cannibal richard chase only broke into houses that were unlocked. if they were locked, he thought it meant he was unwelcome but if they were not he saw it as an invitation to enter. so, I mean, lock yer doors. unless you’re into that sort of thing.
- here’s a brilliant breakfast. mmmmyeah.
- cat declawing is banned in many cities in california as well as many countries around the world, because it’s actually considered animal abuse my many. I would have to agree. “oh hey kitty, you want to practice hunting, a skill that is so friggin necessary for a cat to learn? ok yeah, awesome, here’s a toy mouse you can gently paw at. yeah, just pat it like that. eventually you’ll kill it with love”
- yoko ono is kind of a poopy musician. ok, I mean, a *really* poopy musician. sorry john.
- we only taste 20% of the salt on potato chips. in response lay’s developed a new shape of salt that delivered the same taste, but allowed them to use 25% less salt.
- john candy was considered by many to be one of the most genuinely nice people in hollywood/show business. many of his friends state that he never had anything bad to say about anyone (and he’s canadian! GO FIGURE)
- here’s a kid discovering he can move his eyebrows for the first time.
- cockroaches can make group decisions. when 50 cockroaches are presented with 3 shelters that can only house 40, they’ll split evenly into two groups and leave one shelter empty. I once witnessed a group of cockroaches democratically decide between watching one show or the other. instead of “curb your enthusiasm”, they chose “the big bang theory”. here’s my official endorsement for any pesticide/killing method specifically used to kill cockroaches.
- daniel radcliffe is pretty hilarious.
- an ‘herb’ is the leaf or stems, and ‘spice’ is the seed, bud, bark, root, or berry.
- haley joel osment’s face never grew, only his head. no, seriously. someone even face-swapped and proved it…
- twin popsicles were created during the great depression so that two children could share a treat for just a nickel.
- real-life mitosis! NEAT!
- in czech republic, women are entitled to up to 4 years of paid maternity leave, increasing to 7 years if the child is disabled. BEAUTY.
- I love things like this that make you feel very, very small (still beautiful!!)