today I learned:
- roman emperor augustus witnessed a man attempt to feed a slave to lamprey eels as a punishment for breaking a cup. augustus freed the slave and had the rest of the man’s cups broken. what a dude.
- here’s a baby elephant running to mum after being saved….tears!
- kansas serial killer, the BTK killer, installed alarms as a part of his job, and many of his clients had booked the company to stop BTK from ever entering their homes, unaware that BTK himself was installing them. scarily genius.
- finnish government sends a maternity box to every pregnant woman. here’s what it looks like.
- orville redenbacher paid an advertising company $13,000 (a billion ‘today’ dollars. yes I calculated it. it’s exactly one billion) in 1970 to come up with a name for his popcorn company. Their advice was to call it “orville redenbacher” worth every penny. AM I RIGHT?!?
- here’s a suuuuper satisfying gif
- following the release of Fifty Shades of Grey, rope sales in hardware stores skyrocketed. how cute.
- here’s how to shuck corn the cooler way
- germany’s racing colour is silver because one of their cars was barely overweight, so they just scrapped the paint off leaving the silver body. the car won and the colour stuck.
- the caesar salad was invented by a mexican chef named caesar.
- the curiosity rover has morse code embedded into the tread on its wheels.
- here’s an eagle photographed by a drone. friggin’ beautiful.