today I learned:
- smoking a pack a day in new york state costs almost $450 a month or $5300 a year.
- an “office” scene that was never aired, and that’s pretty friggin’ hilarious! y’know, if you’re into that kind’ve thing.
- crows hold ‘funerals’ for fellow crows. often, neighbouring crows who didn’t know the now deceased crow or even see it die will attend too.
- a chicken who likes hugs.
- california’s “safe surrender” law allows one parent to anonymously leave a baby at a hospital for adoption – and makes it illegal for the hospital to notify the other parent. thank GOD, AMIRIGHT PEOPLE?!? (just kidding this is kind of really sad)
- what a root canal procedure entails (actually really interesting)
- wearing a white t-shirt with a large letter “T” on the front is shown in research to make men 10% more attractive to women. mmmm broad shoulders, RIGHT LADIES?! money and broad shoulders are alllll I neeeeed
- tips to give your intuition a bit of a workout!
- students at the john hopkins university collaboratively decided to opt out of their final since the professor set his curve based on the highest score grading it as 100%. they chose to receive a score of zero making it the highest grade, thereby getting 100%. brilliant.
- dan savage being the great human being/steamroller that he is.
- in 1993 a missouri man purposely damaged a levee on the mississippi river to delay his wife coming home from work so he could party. Instead the river flooded 14,000 acres. he was later arrested and convicted of causing a catastrophe and sentenced to life in prison. I meaaaannnn….
- at the embryonic stage of development, humans have two hearts. they eventually fuse into one but, theoretically, if they were kept separated they would develop into two functional hearts.
- the world cup in a gif 🙂 great for folks, like me, who have no interest in watching but want to be able to understand what the heeelllll people are talking about sometimes…
- weird al yankovic has asked permission from prince to parody his songs on numerous occasions, and has always been refused. when the two were assigned to sit in the same row at an award’s show, he got a telegram from prince’s lawyers demanding he not make eye contact. hahahahah.
- there are no common surnames in thailand. under thai law, only one family can use any given surname: any two people of the same surname must be related.
- here are the four stages of learning. kind of motivating 🙂