today I learned:
- the swatch sistem51 is the first ever automatic (no battery, and winds with your movement) watch to be entirely assembled by robots. it has 51 moving parts and only one screw.
- joaquin phoenix’s forehead looks like a face. I think. ok this is weird.
- one of the collective nouns for butterflies is kaleidoscope.
- photographs of two young men kissing in a photobooth in 1953. mmmm, love 🙂
- almost 90% of all US wiretaps listen for suspected drug deals, not terrorism. sigh.
- tenzing norgay left some chocolate at the top of mount everest when he climbed with edmund hillary. the chocolate was just eaten by some folks in 2012. YA CAN’T TRUST HUMANS. reminds me of the time the second oldest tree in the world’s location was “leaked” and some people went and cut it down. argh!
- wikipedia banned the church of scientology from editing any articles.
- taco bell sold 100 million doritos locos tacos in the first 10 weeks. it took mcdonald’s 18 years to sell the same amount of burgers…!
- spider vs wasp (quick: who do ya think’ll win?!)
- a biology professor extracted yeast from a 45 million year old insect trapped in amber and brewed beer from it. someone online so cleverly suggested its name be “jurassic dark” hahahaha
- there is a company that does what “extreme home makeover” does, but for the homelessand by recycling furniture.
- if everyone lived like a resident of the US, we would need the resources of 4.5 planet earths for sustainable supply.
- some adult jokes in children’s shows. I appreciate these and sometimes wonder how some of ’em were aired!
- we should have these grocery stores around here!! I’d shop here almost exclusively…