today I learned:
- a little girl survived 11 days in a siberian forest. how’d she survive? she huddled with her pup, until the dog finally left her side to find help. helicopters and drones couldn’t find her– but a pup with a good heart did. here’s a stunning photograph of her after being rescued.
- lethal doses for commonly ingested chemicals
- no one knows for sure why tennis points go 15-30-40, or even why 0 is called love. the best guess is that the french would use each of the hands on a clock to keep score of each player, moving it to 15, 30, and 45 (and then later changed to 40). love was a mistranslation of the word for egg, “l’eouf”. we….don’t know why they chose to make it “egg”. ’cause 0 looks like an egg….??
- a piglet doing parkour.
- human sperm has been used to help prepare gibbon (ape) eggs for fertilization. nice.
- after a student was suspended for wearing one of their tees, the band korn gave away hundreds of their shirts to a michigan high school. police actually helped hand out the tees.
- the most recurrent words on wikipedia
- pickpockets will sometimes yell “someone stole my wallet” so everyone around them pats their wallets, revealing the pocket valuables are held in. now you know.
- robin williams, according to his wife, was showing ‘early signs of parkinson’s disease’, and hadn’t yet let the media know. poor guy. here’s a beautiful montage made in his honour (only a minute long, and definitely worth watching! we love you robin!!!!)
- the current record for a one-handed dead lift was set by hermann görner in 1920. he lifted 727.5 lbs….
- just a funny lil thang. the show this is from is called “joe benjamin has a van”, aaaaand I need to start watching it.
- what happens when a thunderstorm hits the world’s busiest airport
- the FBI once wrote a letter to martin luther king suggesting he commit suicide after learning king would be the recipient of the 1964 nobel peace prize. …..what?!
- a chinese company rewarded its employee of the year with a night with a japanese adult video star. well, time to move to china!
- how all canadians canoe. OBVIOUSLY.
- and, of course, a statue with an anus. of course.