today I learned:
- check out these rare historical photos! woah!
- in order to preserve the state’s natural beauty, billboards are completely banned in the state of vermont and have been for over 45 years. we should follow suit. and by “we” I mean the entire friggin’ world.
- the feeling of people that children “these days” are spoiled can be dated all the back to at least socrates. we are all old. and awesome.
- an update from one of our favourite channellers 🙂
- in japan, prisoners on death row are not told when they will be executed until a few hours before they are hanged, and their families are not notified until after they are dead. well that’s kind of insensitive.
- charlie sheen’s ice bucket challenge. honestly, I’m impressed.
- the playstation 2 is the best selling game console of all time, selling 155 million units. 131 million more than the xbox.
- one of the first prototype looping roller coasters had a perfectly circular loop. as a result, riders were exposed to approximately 12gs of force, and frequently suffered neck injuries while riding. the modern roller coaster loop uses a “tear drop” shape to reduce G forces significantly.
- some incredible allan watts quotes 🙂
- through a process called grafting, a single tree has been developed that produces over forty different kinds of fruit, including peaches, plums, apricots, nectarines and cherries. I need this.
- 28 US states have an official state beverage. 21 of those 28 chose milk. alabama chose whiskey. classic alabama.
- vanna white hasn’t actually turned any letters since 1997, hasn’t wore an outfit more than once on the show and holds the guinness world record for clapping.
- this is what bumblebee jasper looks like…