today I learned:
- all domestic hamsters are descendants of a single brother-sister pair that was bred in 1930. no wonder my hampsters never correctly learned tricks, and once bit off each others’ testicles. sibling fights, AMRIGHT?!
- a young carlton banks on set with michael jackson for a pepsi commercial,1984
- all mammals take about 20 seconds to pee no matter how large their bladder is.
- the biggest baby hockey fan ever, apparently hahahaha
- in 1951, MGM owed the dog who played lassie $40,000 in back pay. not planning any more lassie movies, MGM instead gave the rights to the lassie trademark to the dog’s trainer, who spun it off into a TV show that ran for 19 seasons. I loved that show.
- it’s true. the body can’t tell.
- traditional balsamic vinegar must be aged for at least 12 years in a succession of 7 barrels of different woods such as chestnut, acacia, cherry, oak, mulberry, ash and juniper. It can cost $400 for a tiny 100ml bottle. aaand I also learned that I’ve never had TRUE blasamic vinegar. because I’m poor.
- puppies. I don’t need to say more.
- arctic explorer peter freuchen formed a chisel out of his own frozen poop to free himself from an avalanche. he then amputated his own frozen toes with a hammer. I don’t even know how to react to this. I’M SO CONFUSED.
- audrey hepburn, 1955.
- a child growing up in the US is more likely to have a pet than a live-at-home father. mmm 😦
- TV sitcom housing affordability. this is actually pretty interesting!
- the old man who masturbates to natalie portman on the subway in black swan and the guy who yells “ass-to-ass” in requiem for a dream are played by the same actor. the character is credited as “uncle hank” in both of them. how charming.
- if you keep staring at the flashing green dot, the yellow dots will fade or disappear due to motion-induced blindness. NEAT.
- as pornography has increased in availability, sex crimes have either decreased or not increased. which is why we need more porn on the regular. I mean, I don’t often watch it personally, but I’d rather see porn than gory violence any day.
- ‘back to the future’ aging with makeup vs reality
- there have been more deaths in chicago from gang violence than troops killed in afghanistan since 2001. there have also been more soldier suicides than deaths in the war. sigh.
- a firetruck accident.
- rabbit island in japan. take me here, please 🙂