today I learned:
- nike made a commercial depicting a samburu tribesman saying “just do it” in his native language. an american anthropologist called them out, saying that the phrase actually meant, “I don’t want these, give me big shoes.” nike’s response: “we thought nobody in america would know what he said.” how kind of you to assume, nike!
- someone found a message in a bottle while fishing. whaaat! awesome!!
- there is a programming language called arnoldC based entirely around arnold schwarzenegger quotes.
- here’s a graph depicting the best and worst times to have your case reviewed by a judge. wow.
- in 1992, instead of engaging in a messy legal battle over the use of a slogan, the CEOs of southwest airlines and stevens aviation simply arm-wrestled for whose company would own it.
- when bono was 14, his mother died at her father’s funeral 😦
- this snake and mouse cuddle under the heat lamp every night, as the snake refuses to eat this particular mouse. they’ve lived together for a year. SO CUTE.
- a doctor chronicled the progression of alzheimer’s in one of his patients by collecting her signatures from medical forms over several years. so sad!
- mattel made a handicap barbie, but was discontinued due to ongoing design problems, such as not being able to roll through the dream house door in her wheelchair, and her hair getting caught in the wheels. it’s like real life! except way lazier and less compassionate!
- a hamar woman in her wedding dress. beaaauuuutiful!
- can’t ever get enough of these guys.
- in 2005, the british medical journal published a study to investigate the loss of workplace teaspoons. hahaha.
- waves cresting.
- RESCUE STORIES ARE THE BEST.
- in selina kyle (catwoman)’s debut (the first batman series in 1940), batman’s first words to her were “QUIET OR PAPA SPANK!” hahahahahahaha
- creature paintings (here’s their etsy page) 🙂
- a ‘just born’ baby hedgehog! mmmmyessss my heart!
- new gaia channelling 🙂