today I learned:
- according to a recent study, offices that have plants in them have happier staff, and show a 15% boost in productivity after the addition of these plants.
- in the song “sittin’ on the dock of the bay,” otis redding whistled the last verse in the recording because he hadn’t thought of any lyrics yet. three days after recording, he died in a plane crash, and both the song and the whistling became iconic.
- an infographic showing how to grow your own indoor herb garden. I need this.
- sharks have been around longer than trees. sharks appeared 400 million years ago while trees appeared 350 million years ago. woah.
- our channeller has an update, and I really really like this one 🙂
- lofoten, norway. a.k.a a future vacation spot.
- instead of celebrating april fools, the french celebrate april fish (‘poisson d’avril’) where they sneak up behind people and tape paper fish to their backs. I went to first-language french school as a kid (in ontario) and honestly never thought twice about this! I just thought it was a school thing hahahaha.
- what NOT to say to someone who is recovering from an eating disorder. this is so great.
- oxford university is older than the aztecs. oxford: 1249. founding of tenochtitlán: 1325. crazy!
- hospital food around the world.
- bob dylan introduced the beatles to weed. groooooovy!
- the worst shooting in an english speaking country was in australia in 1996, with 35 dead and 23 wounded, it ultimately led to a gun ban. woah.
- some musicians before and after they perform. I thought this would be a tad more interesting than it was. oh well. LEAVING IT IN GUYS.
- the placebo effect can work even if the patient is told they’re taking a placebo.
- a camouflage bathing suit