today I learned:
- truly radical islam
- ellie kemper (erin from ‘the office’) came from a family of millionaire bankers and philanthropists. she went to princeton and oxford before pursuing comedy from the ground up. beauty!!
- a guy got his ugly tribal tattoo fixed!
- a graph charting what age members of the opposite sex look best to for men and women. woah.
- firefighters would hide in ground zero rubble so that dogs could find “survivors”. constantly finding bodies was leading to high stress in the dogs as they thought they were failing.
- a homeless man uses rocks to catch fish
- china is creating a car-free city from scratch: “great city will be built around a high-rise core housing 80,000 people, entirely walkable, and surrounded by green space.” it will be designed to use less water, create less waste and generate less carbon dioxide than a normal city.
- the last living service dog who was sent to ground zero, bretagne. ❤
- in 1945, canada was asked how many jewish refugees it would allow in. canada’s foreign minister frederick blair replied: “none is too many.” uhg.
- a really satisfying woodworking gif
- in 2012, an episode of peppa pig (never heard of it…) was banned in australia as the central message that spiders were not to be feared was deemed “inappropriate for an australian audience”
- this is really, really, surprisingly creepy. I meaaan, choose what sports you want, little girl, but maaan…
- typerwriter art by a man with cerebral palsy!!!
- a mattress guide for….sex??
- vincent van gogh painted “starry night” while he was in a psychiatric ward.
- an artist turned historic photos into haunting gifs