today I learned:
- new research shows that schizophrenia isn’t a single disease but a group of eight genetically distinct disorders, each with its own set of symptoms. the finding could be a first step toward improved diagnosis and treatment for the debilitating psychiatric illness. this makes much more sense.
- children getting to school. and to think I complained about having to take the “short bus”….
- the “O” before an Irish name (ex O’keefe, O’Reilly, etc) means “decendent of”
- when the african grey parrot n’kisi first met jane goodall, he recognized her from a photograph and asked “got a chimp?” It is claimed that this was a possible display of a sense of humor. also, the parrot’s trainer found it increasingly difficult to “…deal with his “sexual needs” and advances – which had become so aggressive that her legs were covered in minor injuries from his jamming and nibbling – had left her scared. “peter could bite me in two,” she wrote. but she was reluctant to hamper progress, and, in a spirit of pragmatism, decided to take matters into her own hands. as the narrator in the documentary tactfully puts it: “margaret felt that the best way of focusing his mind back on his lessons was to relieve his desires herself manually.””
- romania shipped 93.4 tons of gold to russia in 1916 so that russia would safe keep the romanian treasure in the kremlin until the end of the war. and, as of 2014, they gave back only 33 kg of it. THAT’S NOT VERY NICE RUSSIA. THE COUNTRY. YEAH I’M TALKIN’ TO YOU. SHAME ON YOU.
- studies with HIV clearly show that the virus responsible for the AIDS infection is regarded as food to the mosquito and is digested along with the blood meal. once digested it can’t be transmitted. this is why mosquitoes don’t carry and pass around HIV. PHEW. AMIRIGHT.
- an infographic showing the habits of “highly effective” parents
- who men say they want, who they seek, and who they ultimately pursue. an OK cupid study (added new information since I posted the first two graphs last week!)
- aldous huxley, famous writer of ‘brave new world’ asked for LSD in his deathbed, to which his wife complied. he died hallucinating.
- lev tchistovsky – ‘reclining nude with pink robe’ 1937
- I really don’t like this show….DON’T MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE I’M SORRY
- obsidian (volcanic glass) scalpels are used for surgery because they are sharper than high-quality surgical steel. the blade is just 3 nm thick while DNA is 2 nm thick. woah. NANOMETRES.
- psychedelic drugs and their medicinal potential (for the mind!)…neat!
- the sign language equivalent of a tongue-twister is known as a finger-fumbler. well that’s just friggin’ CUTE!
- the selfie olympics hahahahah