today I learned:
- the ‘miss leo free tarot reading’ psychic hotline was generating $24 million a month for two years straight. the lady in the commercial only actually made $1,750 for the three days it took to film the first infomercial. nice.
- gary oldman’s makeup for hannibal
- there is a frog from africa, trichobatrachus robustus, that will break a bone in its toe pad, push the sharp broken bone through its skin and shank you if you threaten it. WHHAAAAAT.
- facts about beer. NOW I KNOW. and will never use this information. probably.
- dogs of the world based on geographic origin
- a chimpanzee named frodo has impregnated his own mother, killed a human infant, attacked a cartoonist, and beat jane goodall’s head so badly he almost broke her neck. holy hell.
- an infographic of nonmonogamous relationships!
- just a UFO. NOTHING TO SEE HERE.
- smarties candies (or “rockets” in canada) were originally made with re-purposed gun powder tablet machines from WWII.
- some recipes (with pictures! it looks fun!) from tokyo 🙂
- there have been an estimated 638 attempts to assassinate fidel castro by people in the US, including poisoned cigars, infected scuba equipment, a pen rigged with a hypodermic needle containing poison, etc. he actually said, in response to this, that “if surviving assassination attempts was an olympic event, I’d win gold”. you sure would, fidel. you suuuuure wouuuuuld.
- what every country leads the world in. I had no idea about the asteroids! yay canada!
- the mcgurk effect. pretty friggin’ cool.
- a self-proclaimed non-religious guy decided to install a buddha statue in a high-crime neighbourhood. nearby vietnamese ladies began “flocking” to it, gave it flowers and other gifts, and began doing daily chants. crime around the area dropped 82% since 2012 🙂