today I learned:
- I wish this were the case…
- wayne brady has opened up about his own depression following robin williams’ decision.
- in 1974 jane goodall observed a social rift in a community of chimpanzees turn into a violent 4 year civil war for territory involving kidnapping, rape and murder, changing her perception of chimpanzees. it is known as the “gombe chimpanzee war”.
- the moscow subway system.
- aaaand stockholm’s subway system.
- there are more nuns over 90 than those under 60 in the US.
- a visualization of where ebola is in africa.
- there’s something called the ‘popsicle index’–a quality of life measurement based on the percentage of parents who feel that their child can safely walk to the nearest store and buy a popsicle by themselves. I like this.
- an infographic of a study of 10,000 porn stars and their careers. sooo interesting.
- in north korea, marijuana is legal and commonly used. well there ya go.
- this is what shaving metal looks like.
- in france and belgium, there is a folk character called “the whipping father” who accompanies st. nicholas. he beats naughty children with sticks and carries them away in a bag. way to ruin christmas, guys.
- a collection of ‘oddly satisfying’ photos. mmmmm
- YES alan watts, YES.
- the rhinoceros party of canada, a satirical, federally registered political party in canada, received 1.01% of the popular vote in the 1980 federal election campaigning to repeal the law of gravity and provide higher education by building taller schools, among other promises. that’s hilarious.
- the 10 deadliest animals in australia. glad to see this before my trip….!
- how sriracha is made.